Fonterra is committed to dairy excellence and has developed the Supply Fonterra programme to ensure healthier streams, rivers, lakes and wetlands by helping farmers proactively meet national and regional standards, and care for the land and the waterways in their local communities for generations to come.
Lead by a network of sustainable dairying advisers, area managers, food safety managers and farm dairy assessors, the programme offers clarity about standards, best practice information and advice.
- Every year all 10,400 Fonterra farms are assessed.
- More than 5,138 effluent improvement plans put in place since August 2010.
- Every year 17 sustainable dairy advisors focus on supporting farmers to improve water quality on their farms.
- Over 387 hectares of land and waterways improved since 2009 through our catchment care programme which evolved into Living Water in March 2013.
- Over 24,300 Km Kilometres of defined waterways on Fonterra farms are now stock excluded.
- A Waterway Management Programme clarifies standards for stock exclusion and stock crossings.
- Farmers are encouraged to plant near waterways to further improve water quality.
- An Effluent Management Programme helps farmers put effective systems in place to maximise nutrient use while minimising effects on local waterways.
- A Nitrogen Management Programme aims to reduce dairying’s impact on groundwater by helping farmers use nitrogen more efficiently.
We know everybody has to do their bit so Fonterra is working together with the wider agricultural sector, government, councils, iwi/hapu and communities to make a positive difference to New Zealand's water catchments and natural habitats.
Fonterra is an Accountable Partner to the Sustainable Dairying Water Accord whose purpose is to enhance the overall performance of dairy farming as it effects freshwater.