we are focusing on the following key areas in the hikurangi catchment
- Securing and protecting remnant wetlands and riparian forest. These include the two largest remnant wetland areas in public ownership (Wairua and Otakairangi Government Purpose Wildlife Management Reserves) and on-farm remnants.
- Building connectivity and enhancing ecosystem health and resilience within and beyond the flood plain. This will include building the resilience of the Otakairangi GPWMR peat bog through weed control and investigating water level manipulation as well as opportunities for wetland construction on-farm.
- Contributing new knowledge through;
- Identifying options to improve ecosystem services that benefit farmers and the catchment (flood, sediment and nutrient mitigation);
- Demonstrating the value created for agricultural systems of securing and expanding wetland remnants.