About the project
The Whitebait Connection is a programme delivered by the Mountains to Sea Conservation Trust, specialists in community engagement in freshwater issues. Their work within the Hikurangi Floodplain involves monitoring of species composition and water, engagement of community with ‘have a go’ days to learn about monitoring techniques, and delivery of an education programme to local schools. Living Water has provided funding support for this project between 2015-2018 due to our shared vision and goals.
- Increased landowner and community awareness of freshwater issues
- Long term behaviour change in both todays’ and tomorrow’s generations by direct interaction with local Fonterra farmers and their families
- Delivery of whitebait programme to four local schools twice a year achieved
- Collaboration with Ngā Kaitiaki O Ngā Wai Māori to deliver cultural heath education into schools programme achieved
- Delivery of stakeholder engagement workshops achieved